Choose How to Spend Your Time/Energy
- set priorities
- take time out when needed
Build Your Strength and Endurance
- do some physical activity
- good nutrition
Create a Support Environment
- get rid of clutter
- surround yourself with what you like: music, art, books, nature, etc.
- memorize verses or quotes to repeat
- talk to trusted person(s) about fears, sadness, anger, guilt or spiritual matters
- practical, business or legal
- get legal assistance if necessary
- make them now and be done with them
Learn to Relax
- deep breathing
- massage, warm baths, back rubs
- create a quiet place
Manage Your “Self-Talk”
- choose to think positively
- translate worry into action
- mentally rehearse positive outcomes to stressful situations
- learn to turn off your inner critic
Learn to Laugh
- look for the humorous side of situations
- seek out sources of humor – books, movies, people, etc.
Practice Saying “No”
- let someone else do it
- save your strength for the really important things
Ask for Help
- you don’t have to do it all yourself
- “give away” some problems and tasks
- to the small, daily pleasures of life
- to the present moment
Take the Long View
- how important will this crisis be one year from now?
- what were you worried about one year ago?
- what is really important to you?
Adapted from American Cancer Society’s “I Can Cope” series.